#1 Bob Sanders

Bob Sanders

.44 Mag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationUtica, KY

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Found in yard, can anyone tell me about it?ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368209912.100890.jpg
If anyone asks, I don't know what happened.

#2 Steve McGinley

Steve McGinley

Consistently Inconsistent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationYukon, OK

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Cool!

Steve
NRA Life Member

Leave Feedback Here: My Feedback

#3 roklock

roklock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMifflinburg, PA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

might want to try posting here...

http://arrowheads.com/forums/index

#4 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

• Moderators
  • 11,180 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Nice find! I have a point that I found in the river near my home that looks similar. I had it identified as a "dalton".

#5 scubor2

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Nice find! I have a point that I found in the river near my home that looks similar. I had it identified as a "dalton".

I used to shoot those, worked pretty good.

#6 Bob Sanders

Bob Sanders

.44 Mag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationUtica, KY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

I have really no knowledge of Indian relics. But someone told me this point was made between 10000-15000 years ago.  I don't know how they could determine that, but it's really neat to hold something in your hand that could have been fashioned by hands that long ago.  Just imagine what they were talking about around the campfire after losing the arrowhead, "Yep, I was shooting the third stage at the Mastadon Nationals when my quiver broke during a reload, thought I was gonna get a DQ."

#7 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

• Moderators
  • 11,180 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

People find a lot of points where I live. The county was a big trading area for the Indians, and early french explorers. We are also home to large deposits of flint. Its called Kay county chirt, and was traded to other tribes back in the day. It turns a distinctive pink when its heat treated before knapping, and is easily worked. So if somebody see's any that color, it came from here.

So for 25000 years or so, the tribes, following the buffalo along the rivers etc, knapped and shot millions of flint arrowheads, and spear points.

Most of ours are found by people walking the river beds during low water levels.

I dabble a bit at flint knapping. Not very good at it as getting time to practice doesn't happen often, but here are a few "bird points" that I knapped. The smallest one can be covered by a dime.

arrow_heads.jpg

#8 Bob Sanders

Bob Sanders

.44 Mag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationUtica, KY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Very cool!  As an aside, my 2nd great grandfather was an indian from that area.  His name was John Big Gun, and when he enlisted in the Army around the time of the American Civil War, the Army changed his name to Cannon, or the story goes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users