#1 Fleche

Fleche

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC - Formerly Edmond, OK

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

I really wanted to have orange furniture so I started playing with dye and my pmags.  Orange has been an overall fail, usually being kinda brown. while I was at it I did some other colors though.   The soft rubber of the Ranger plates (and the plugs on an STR stock as I learned the hard way) take a little color but not to the same level and will rub off some.  The Pmags are colorfast and it soaks in a bit.

pmagcolor.jpg

#2 Jesse Tischauser

Jesse Tischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

• Administrators
  • 23,506 posts
  • LocationGuthrie, OK

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Rainbow mags! Carpenter will want a set to match the sticker on his Passat.

#3 Eric_williams

Eric_williams

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

How long did it take for the color to soak in?

#4 Fleche

Fleche

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC - Formerly Edmond, OK

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

The dark ones I let boil about 20 minutes. The almost orange was about 20 seconds.  It was shocking how fast it worked. The instructions for a shirt are 45 minutes to an hour at simmer which is why all my orange previously came out a Tapco brown. I think the red will be more red with a shorter dip.

If I can keep the heat up, I think designs will be possible without lots of taping. One unfortunate side effect is the window on the Pmag dyes very easily and taping the inside is a biddy.

On a side note, I love the optical illusion the mags give in that picture. They are all 30 round mags but the sizes look all different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users