#61 Chambers

Chambers

actual GM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationOKC, OK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

There's always a little play between the alignment pin and the receiver, but when torqued you shouldn't be able to wiggle it with your hand. From your description it sounds like there's more than a little.

#62 Wall

Wall

El Diablo

• Administrators
  • 12,964 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

I'll bet when you retighten it, it'll be fine

#63 DoctorJJ

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationPryor, OK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

specs are 35ft lbs min, 80 max, mine is at 45. I'm going to take it apart, clean it and re torque it.

There's no way its still 45 ft/lbs. Did you check the mating surfaces for burrs or high spots? I usually lap those before I put the barrel on. Also make sure you get some assembly lube on the back side of the nut where it mates to the barrel extension, that way you are getting a true torque reading and not just where it starts to bind because of friction. Also, you should torque down and loosen off, then retorque at least once. I usually do it about 3 times. As for the torque specs, hand tight, then to the next alignment hole is tight enough.

#64 Josh Appel

Josh Appel

Par times back to normal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationCollinsville, OK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

There's always a little play between the alignment pin and the receiver, but when torqued you shouldn't be able to wiggle it with your hand. From your description it sounds like there's more than a little.

When I put the new Loki barrel on, it was tight with no wiggle at all, 500 rounds later, lots of wiggle.

#65 DoctorJJ

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationPryor, OK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

When I put the new Loki barrel on, it was tight with no wiggle at all, 500 rounds later, lots of wiggle.

I think what he meant was the raised "pin" on the barrel extension is never as wide as the slot in the receiver, so there is some wiggle room, rotationally. That being said, if it was truly torqued to 45 ft/lbs, it's not gonna wiggle or spin even without a alignment pin.

#66 Josh Appel

Josh Appel

Par times back to normal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

I think what he meant was the raised "pin" on the barrel extension is never as wide as the slot in the receiver, so there is some wiggle room, rotationally. That being said, if it was truly torqued to 45 ft/lbs, it's not gonna wiggle or spin even without a alignment pin.

I know what he meant, and I know and they fella that helped put the rifle together knows what i torqued it to. Assembly lube was used, I just torqued it one time and called it good. I'm putting it back together in the morning, so we will see what happens. Thanks for the input guys.

#67 Wall

Wall

El Diablo

• Administrators
  • 12,964 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hope it works out Josh, let us know.

#68 DoctorJJ

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationPryor, OK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

I know what he meant, and I know and they fella that helped put the rifle together knows what i torqued it to. Assembly lube was used, I just torqued it one time and called it good. I'm putting it back together in the morning, so we will see what happens. Thanks for the input guys.

I'm just saying that it's not torqued to 45 now. If it was, you couldn't wiggle the barrel by hand even if there wasn't an alignment pin at all. I bet you had a little burr that held the two pieces apart a tiny bit, you torqued it down but then over time the burr deformed and now the tension has decreased between the barrel and receiver and it's now loose.

#69 Eellis

Eellis

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationOkc

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Yes don't know if it the upper or lower but my gun is consistently jamming with the QD upper and lower.

#70 DoctorJJ

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationPryor, OK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Yes don't know if it the upper or lower but my gun is consistently jamming with the QD upper and lower.

I would seriously doubt it's either. Probably 90% of "jamming" issues are magazine related.

#71 Wormydog1724

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Could you expound on the "jamming"?

#72 DoctorJJ

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationPryor, OK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Could you expound on the "jamming"?

Yes, I would like him to expound on his "jamming" issues, too. I really hate that word...

#73 Eellis

Eellis

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationOkc

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

I posted the info in the gunsmith section . Trust me I'm not pointing fingers anywhere but my direction, just can't figure it out.

#74 Wormydog1724

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Expound or jamming? That's the first time I've ever used expound and I doubt I use it again. Sounds douchey

#75 taymoor

taymoor

Skilled Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationStillwater

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'll expound on jamming:

Sorry, couldn't resist
...I like a big fatty...
-STEAK
...I love your clucker, Taymoor...
-benjamin-benjamin
ALL HAIL TAYMOOR

#76 Wall

Wall

El Diablo

• Administrators
  • 12,964 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

I posted the info in the gunsmith section . Trust me I'm not pointing fingers anywhere but my direction, just can't figure it out.

Did you ever try it with your other BCG?

#77 Josh Appel

Josh Appel

Par times back to normal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

I'll expound on jamming:

Sorry, couldn't resist

Nice! That went well with a few cold beers on my day off.

#78 Rusty Shacleford

Rusty Shacleford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationThe Box

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy otherwise known as
"THE BEAST."

www.ar15chatterbox.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users