#1 Tech

Tech

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationGrand Island, NE

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

We had a discussion this weekend about if the rifle and shotgun have to be shouldered while firing a shot in 3gun competition? There was a row of back and forth hoser targets between barrels that it was faster to just hold the rifle out and pull the trigger instead of shouldering it.

#2 Burk Cornelius

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy

• Administrators
  • 12,926 posts
  • LocationEdmond/OKC

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

At our local (outlaw) matches it is not required to shoulder as long as you are safe.

There may be something in the USPSA or 3GN rules

posted via Tapatalk

I once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt.

twitterlogotiny.jpgBoomerShooter Twitter
facebook_logo2.pngBoomerShooter Facebook

#3 Tech

Tech

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, I skimmed the USPSA multigun rules and didn't see anything.

#4 Shane P

Shane P

Looks good to me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

To me that leaves it up to the discretion of the RO. I'd rather have a slightly slower time than risk getting dq'd on a judgement call. If there is ever a question I'll ask the RO before the start if it's ok to do ... whatever you're thinking of doing.

#5 Tech

Tech

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

To me that leaves it up to the discretion of the RO. I'd rather have a slightly slower time than risk getting dq'd on a judgement call. If there is ever a question I'll ask the RO before the start if it's ok to do ... whatever you're thinking of doing.

I was the RO! 😀

#6 Shane P

Shane P

Looks good to me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

Ha, well as long as it wasn't an unsafe manner. I'm not sure that there is a rule about that specifically. Maybe one of our rules guys will chime in.

#7 Wall

Wall

El Diablo

• Administrators
  • 12,862 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

Uspsa multigun may have a rule, not sure. I only say this because uspsa specifies rifles must be fired from the shoulder for pcc division.

#8 Tech

Tech

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

Uspsa multigun may have a rule, not sure. I only say this because uspsa specifies rifles must be fired from the shoulder for pcc division.

Yep. That is the exact reason we were discussing it.

#9 Shane P

Shane P

Looks good to me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

I did a quick google search and found the 2014 USPSA multigun rules (Says updated April 2015) Here's a link

Under section 10.4 for match DQ-accidental discharge.  Does not specifically say must be fired from shoulder, but it could be used to imply that a shot not fired from the shoulder would be considered an AD.

10.4.6 A shot which occurs while transferring a firearm between hands or shoulders.

#10 mike_pinto

mike_pinto

TOLA Guy

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

That is different than intentionally "hip firing" during a COF.  Just FYI, we changed the PCC rules to the statement below.  So technically it doesn't have to be fired from the shoulder in any ruleset USPSA has..

Must have stock attached and be capable of being fired from

shoulder position.

#11 Matt Rigsby

Matt Rigsby

Cyrwus Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

I'm gonna have to get a belt fed upper for mine so I can wear my red headband and camouflage pants to the match now that we can shoot from the hip.

IDGAF CASH ME OUSSIDE HOW BOW DAT!

#12 Tuflehundon (Rob Gee)

Tuflehundon (Rob Gee)

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationPinellas Park, FL

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

I've done it multiple times and never been DQ'd for it. 3gun Nation and USPSA 3gun. As long as I didn't break the 180, and the shots were intentional (read: not AD) I was told I was OK. 

I looked in USPSA Multigun, and 3gun Nation rules and couldn't find a rule against it. It's a lot like super close hoser targets with a pistol. Several times at USPSA pistol matches there have been targets so close that most didn't even look at the sights. So they were basically doing the same thing, point shooting. 

Frankengun AR. Spikes upper and lower.

Praelstolor barrel with Adams Arms XLP piston conversion, low mass carrier, and JP Silent Captured Spring.

HiperFire 24C (Nickel Boron coated).

Magpul everything. PRS, MBAD, MIAD+, trigger guard, EMags

Samson Evo rail. 

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 MOA w/ reticle

Offset RMR

#13 toothandnail

toothandnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationVersailles Mo

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

I always give the RO a heads up, if I'm planning on it.

So far all have said OK

#14 Jesse Tischauser

Jesse Tischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

• Administrators
  • 23,506 posts
  • LocationGuthrie, OK

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:21 AM

3GN has a rule requiring the gun to be shouldered when burning rounds prior to dumping a long gun if I'm not mistaken. Might be in the pro series rules only after Craig Outzen AD'd during a shotgun dump one time. He wasn't DQ'd because the round hit the dirt further away then the 10' minimum but it clearly wasn't an intentional trigger pull.

#15 Tuflehundon (Rob Gee)

Tuflehundon (Rob Gee)

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationPinellas Park, FL

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

3GN has a rule requiring the gun to be shouldered when burning rounds prior to dumping a long gun if I'm not mistaken. Might be in the pro series rules only after Craig Outzen AD'd during a shotgun dump one time. He wasn't DQ'd because the round hit the dirt further away then the 10' minimum but it clearly wasn't an intentional trigger pull.

I saw the rule requiring it to be shouldered while burning a round, and the minimum distance. But that distance doesn't apply to intentional shots at a close target. And we are talking about intentional shots. 

At one 3gun Nation match (regional) there were 4 close targets, between 5 ft and 10 ft depending on how close you got to them. They were low to the ground and angled at a 45, you had to shot into the ground to hit them. A few of us shot them on the move without having our rifles shouldered. They were intentional shots, and we did aim them by point shooting. RO at the time said it was OK, I did ask before I did it. I was told that as long as they were intentional shots, and I didn't break the 180, I was OK. 

Frankengun AR. Spikes upper and lower.

Praelstolor barrel with Adams Arms XLP piston conversion, low mass carrier, and JP Silent Captured Spring.

HiperFire 24C (Nickel Boron coated).

Magpul everything. PRS, MBAD, MIAD+, trigger guard, EMags

Samson Evo rail. 

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 MOA w/ reticle

Offset RMR

#16 Jesse Tischauser

Jesse Tischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

• Administrators
  • 23,506 posts
  • LocationGuthrie, OK

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:14 AM

I saw the rule requiring it to be shouldered while burning a round, and the minimum distance. But that distance doesn't apply to intentional shots at a close target. And we are talking about intentional shots.

At one 3gun Nation match (regional) there were 4 close targets, between 5 ft and 10 ft depending on how close you got to them. They were low to the ground and angled at a 45, you had to shot into the ground to hit them. A few of us shot them on the move without having our rifles shouldered. They were intentional shots, and we did aim them by point shooting. RO at the time said it was OK, I did ask before I did it. I was told that as long as they were intentional shots, and I didn't break the 180, I was OK.

I'm 99% sure that if you hit or are at least trying to hit a target and are shooting from the unshouldered position you're good to go in 3GN. You could email Rob@3gunnation.com to get clarification. Since outlaw matches have minimal rules I'm 200% sure you can shoot with the rifle sticking out your ass if you want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users