21 replies to this topic

#21 Sunshine Shooter

Sunshine Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

A few weeks back on Sept. 17th I competed in my first 3-gun match, using a friend's shotgun (thanks man!).  I had never run a Saiga-12 before (and performed poorly because of my lack of experience) but really enjoyed it.  I shot  83 rounds of 9mm, 67 rounds of .223, and an undetermined amount of 12 gauge.  I placed either dead last or next to last, I forget and it really doesn't matter.  I haven't shot anything in the mean time, and I don't plan to do much shooting or training for a while anyway.  I have my first kid due in the next week or so, and figured this was a good time to wrap up this year's training log.  I'll pick up next year where I left off, unless I do some shooting sooner than that.   I just don't foresee myself spending too much time at the range in the next few months with a newborn around.  I do plan on getting back into the swing of things once the wife and I get adjusted to our new lives as parents, I just don't know how long that will take.

Looking back on the year itself, I'm fairly content.  I could have shot more pistol and less rifle, though I accomplished the goals I set for myself.  I actually reached them much faster than I thought I would.  Not sure what my plans/goals for next year will be, too much change on the horizon to plot a course that far out.

Current totals:
M&P: 2273 (134%)
AR: 604 (100%)
RPR: 52 (82%)
O/U: 233 (144%*)
460 mag: 113 (N/A) 

"...an inelegant weapon for a less civilized time..."

#22 Sunshine Shooter

Sunshine Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

Shot the inaugural UML match at USSA on Dec. 16th 2017, and a friend joined me.  This is the first time I've fired a shot since Sept.  I had actually prepped my guns for storage, but broke them out anyway.  Though I was going in pretty cold, I did practice my rifle reloads the week before.  The rifle reloads burned me in June at the Practical Rifle match and on a range trip later in the summer so I wanted to have them down pat.  And I did, except for one stage where I switched shoulders and went dry and tried to reload wrong-shouldered for a single shot before dumping my rifle.  I should have just dumped the rifle and cleaned up w/ my pistol and saved 5-7 seconds, but I didn't think of it at the time.

The match was fun, once we got the rules sorted out and got moving.  The stage design seemed to favor tricking and confusing the shooters, with an abundance of targets that can only be hit from one small spot located in the middle of a straight away and targets around corners the opposite direction of two or three others that have to be engaged from that position.  Each stage had targets that have to be hit with one weapon and other targets that have to be hit with another, and the stages were designed to force you to backtrack and run through the whole thing at least twice.  I didn't like that aspect of it, personally.  It started to feel like the stages weren't designed to see who can shoot better, but who can memorize target locations better.  It reminds me of video games, where the map designers are trying to hide power ups and collectibles off to the side of the main quest.  Except that in this case the player gets penalized for missing stuff that is purposefully hidden away, and they justified it as testing skills.  I don't mind challenging targets and tests of skill, but if I cared that much I'd just make my own competition and design the stages myself.

I may be blowing this out of proportion a little, I still enjoyed the match and had fun.  I finished 16 of 22 in TacOps, 27 of 37 overall.  Not in the top half, but I performed to an acceptable level and got beat by superior shooters.  I can live with that.  For now.

Current totals:
M&P: 2409 (162%)
AR: 737 (100%)
RPR: 52 (82%)
O/U: 233 (144%*)
460 mag: 113 (N/A) 

"...an inelegant weapon for a less civilized time..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users