31 replies to this topic

#21 DD78

DD78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPeople's Democratic Republic of Illinois

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

I've only had that problem with 9mm. Whether it was new brass or stainless wet tumbled, it would bind up the press where I had to exert way too much force to raise the handle. Immediately after switching to walnut tumbled brass, the problem stopped. I'm glad it happened because it was taking a lot of time depriming, wet tumbling, and drying. I was able to get a lot of time back and avoid that binding problem at the same time.

Just want to give you a heads up about it if you wind up experiencing the problem. If you don't have that problem, great. I'm loading around 8-10K rounds of 9mm a year so anything that slows down the 650, or the reloading process takes time away from other things I'd like to do.

#22 technetium-99m

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

Do what works for you. Reloading isn't a hobby for me, I reload to shoot, not the other way around.
Does not have a Stock II

#23 Chris54326

Chris54326

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Appreciate the "heads up" DD78.

#24 Chris54326

Chris54326

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Reloading isn't a hobby for me, either, tecnetium99m.  Necessary evil as far as I'm concerned.  Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd buy commercial rounds, but I'm not very well-to-do.

#25 Chris54326

Chris54326

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

I've only had that problem with 9mm. Whether it was new brass or stainless wet tumbled, it would bind up the press where I had to exert way too much force to raise the handle. Immediately after switching to walnut tumbled brass, the problem stopped. I'm glad it happened because it was taking a lot of time depriming, wet tumbling, and drying. I was able to get a lot of time back and avoid that binding problem at the same time.

Just want to give you a heads up about it if you wind up experiencing the problem. If you don't have that problem, great. I'm loading around 8-10K rounds of 9mm a year so anything that slows down the 650, or the reloading process takes time away from other things I'd like to do.

Thought I'd share this with you, DD78.  I got a batch of new Starline brass in for my 9mm the other day.  All of a sudden I've started having sticking problems.  Thought it was weird, since you'd just mentioned it.  I kept pulling my case expander and polishing it...........but it wasn't helping.  Turns out what was sticking was the primer seater!!!!!!!  Not quite sure how to fix that because I don't want any lube down there to be possibly "tainting" my primers.

#26 DD78

DD78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPeople's Democratic Republic of Illinois

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thought I'd share this with you, DD78.  I got a batch of new Starline brass in for my 9mm the other day.  All of a sudden I've started having sticking problems.  Thought it was weird, since you'd just mentioned it.  I kept pulling my case expander and polishing it...........but it wasn't helping.  Turns out what was sticking was the primer seater!!!!!!!  Not quite sure how to fix that because I don't want any lube down there to be possibly "tainting" my primers.

That's one I've never heard of.  I would highly recommend calling Dillon and asking them about it.  

#27 Chris54326

Chris54326

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

I've been busy since noticing it, but I'm going to take some things apart and mic for sizes.  Might need to polish to remove a little material or something.

#28 Chris54326

Chris54326

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Okay, problem solved..............or averted, which ever! I ordered 500 115 gr FMJ bullets from RMR today. Not going to have to worry about this lead mess any more. Wasn't trying to start yet another journey into casting, lubing and sizing lead bullets................just wanted a hassle free practice round.    I'll put these jacketed bullets over 5.65 gr WSF and be happy. (that is reported to duplicate my carry round in recoil) So all is well in my neighborhood.

#29 Chris54326

Chris54326

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Pleased with the results.

Ended up with 115 gr FMJ from RMR over 5.65 gr WSF.

This target was shot at 21 feet, rapid fire, 10 shots...........first shot was dead center of bullseye, or so my buddy claimed.

http://chris623.zenf...417218445-5.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• scan0002-half.jpg

#30 Matt Rigsby

Matt Rigsby

Cyrwus Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,131 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:58 AM

I'd say it's working pretty well.

IDGAF CASH ME OUSSIDE HOW BOW DAT!

#31 Chris54326

Chris54326

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

Yes, it is.  Now is the time for lots of loading and lots of practice.

#32 Larry Rigsby

Larry Rigsby

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBlanchard, OK

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

I've also had the issue with the cases sticking. So far it's only been with the 9mm. Dillon told me that when I pin tumbled the brass it got it too clean and I needed to lube the inside of the case mouths.

I've since backed off from using the SS pins and just wet tumbled and havent had any more problems.

I don't recommend loading cast bullets to match factory jacketed hollow points. You may start have barrel leading issues. Most manuals have separate load data for cast and jacketed bullets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users