#1 Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

This was a dramatic improvement in accuracy of the round ball in a .50 Lyman Great Plains rifle I built.

By changing the patch thickness and material, a 3 shot group went from 3 inches to less than one inch.

I doubt it will matter much for hunting, except if I want to shoot squirrels and such. 

pre_1507821250__lyman_target.jpg

"Give me three chances and I can do anything."  -  KAS

#2 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

• Moderators
  • 10,877 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

Nice looking group! Amazing how changing one variable in the combination can make that much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Operator_1

Operator_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSpring Valley< WI

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Very nice

#4 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

• Moderators
  • 10,877 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted Today, 07:47 PM

I spent the afternoon doing a deep clean on my Savage Ml-10 smokeless Muzzle loader.

I noticed last year that the accuracy was not as good as it was when new. Instead of cloverleaf groups at 100 yds it was out to 2".

Had it for 12 years or so with it maintaining that accuracy. The recoil is so brutal you don't want to shoot it more than a few times.

Found the Vent Liner had some major erosion taking it out to .036 from the original .029.

Going to the range tomorrow for some target practice. Now that we have the 300 yard bay, I'm going to take it there and see what it will do.

250 grain Hornady SST running 2350 fps is equal to a .416 Rigby elephant gun in speed and recoil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users