2 replies to this topic

#1 yury

yury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

A midlife crisis is coming … Alright, alright, alright. The doctor said that somebody needs some type of sport activity, especially for a guy who sits behind a computer screen most of his life. So I decided to try shooting, with absolutely no prior experience, as a sport in the summer of 2016. There was nobody who can introduce me to the shooting, so I gave myself time to find more about it and whether it is for me. The choices were: USPSA, Steel Challenge, Skeets/Sporting Clays, 3gun, Bullseye. After one year of some researches and trials the choices was made, the baseline was set and the goals were defined.

USPSA and Steel Challenge are fun and easy to enter (in terms of required equipment). I decided to start at the Production Division: there are less thinking in what tuning needs to be done to the gun or equipment, and at the same moment, more basic skills (such as recoil control, reloading, planning) are required. My thinking is: whatever I’ll improve in my training towards USPSA competitions will assist with other shooting discipline choices above.

I prefer to improve myself hence this shooting log to track my progress. I hope somebody will find notes here useful to reach their goals faster.

#2 yury

yury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Here is my baseline and what made the local USPSA and Steel Challenge competitions more enjoyable for me.

To this moment, I fully adopted the thumbs forward grip, isosceles stance, and symmetrical draw stroke. I removed or trying to remove all unneeded movement/actions from any routine and/or replacing them with familiar movements on a line of fire: made “make ready” command look similar to draw and magazine reloading procedure, replaced slide stop lever push with regular racking, etc. A dry-fire practice needs to be free from unneeded movements as well: at the moment trying to avoid pressing a par-timer start button (I have caught myself subconsciously reaching for it :).

I need to allocate about 140 min per week for dry-fire session to notice any improvement. It’s about 20-30 min per day. I'm trying to mix two of the following exercises per session: white wall, draw, trigger slap, reload during movement, Hopkins drills; and on occasions: to replace snap caps with laser cartridge to observe light movements during striker hit; to remove par timer to better concentrate on movements; to use of one hand; to add malfunction clearing. I think the above helped me with indexing (point shooting) and, because of that, shooting with both eyes opened.

During live-fire practice, I’m trying to use the same equipment, to load the same amount of rounds per magazine and the same exact ammunition as during competitions. To not forget how to keep a grip during recoil, I have to use about 150 rounds per week at shooting range, and it requires way more than that to make some improvements. Yes, the hardest thing is a grip -- it is impossible to simulate recoil during dry-fire. But it is getting better with time, and few adjustments (after some advice).

Measurable goals? With my 2s draw, 0.8s splits, and 6” groups (at 10 yards), it is hard to expect good results on classifiers yet. However I really hope to reach 1.80s draw, 0.45s splits and 3.5” group somehow by the end of next year.

#3 yury

yury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

Started using http://async5.org/beep/ as a par timer -- there is no need to press a button to start cycle again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users