#1 KellyB

KellyB

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

Looking for how to clean the comp on my open guns. Made the mistake of “googling it”. Saw all kinds of things:
*dremel it lightly (umm, no)
*ultrasonic cleaner machine
*dentist tools to scratch it out (?scratch the finish?)
*50-50 mix of hydrogen peroxide & vinegar
*carb cleaner for a car
*shooter’s choice bore cleaner
*?some kind of acid? (not the kind the hippies use from the 60s)

And once it is clean use Dillon case lube to keep it from building up. Apparently the lanolin in the Dillon lube is better than the One Shot spray.

I have 2 that I’m cleaning.
One is an STI, it’s all one piece.
The other is threaded on the barrel & a special loctite is used to keep it on the barrel & can only be applied by the manufacturer. So this is one of my concerns with using certain cleaners.

How do you clean your comp & keep it looking pretty?

#2 Wall

Wall

El Diablo

• Administrators
  • 12,937 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

Looking for how to clean the comp on my open guns. Made the mistake of “googling it”. Saw all kinds of things:
*dremel it lightly (umm, no)
*ultrasonic cleaner machine
*dentist tools to scratch it out (?scratch the finish?)
*50-50 mix of hydrogen peroxide & vinegar
*carb cleaner for a car
*shooter’s choice bore cleaner
*?some kind of acid? (not the kind the hippies use from the 60s)

And once it is clean use Dillon case lube to keep it from building up. Apparently the lanolin in the Dillon lube is better than the One Shot spray.

I have 2 that I’m cleaning.
One is an STI, it’s all one piece.
The other is threaded on the barrel & a special loctite is used to keep it on the barrel & can only be applied by the manufacturer. So this is one of my concerns with using certain cleaners.

How do you clean your comp & keep it looking pretty?

I dont

#3 CBR

CBR

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationJust out of peripheral view

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:43 AM

Hoppe's

Speed plus Accuracy = Spaccuracy

#4 KellyB

KellyB

9 mm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

I dont

Won’t it fill up the comp eventually?

Hoppe's

Do you let it set in it for a certain amount of time that seems to work?

#5 yury

yury

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

I dont

I guess dirt more than 1/2 inch falls off by itself

#6 Wall

Wall

El Diablo

• Administrators
  • 12,937 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Won’t it fill up the comp eventually?

Doubtful

#7 Matt Rigsby

Matt Rigsby

Cyrwus Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

There's a lot of pressure coming through those ports on a major PF 9mm. I seriously doubt it would ever clog up.

IDGAF CASH ME OUSSIDE HOW BOW DAT!

#8 SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern Wisconsin

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

It's sometimes better to "show" stuff rather than try to explain my madness:

ARas6Ahl.jpg

These are the internal baffles and spacers from my suppressor. I let things go for a bit longer than I should have with cleaning, but being there is very little actual labor involved with the process I prefer, the soak just takes a little bit longer.

I faithfully use the 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar solution. Fifteen minutes in the solution, then check progress. If parts are still fugly lookin', anothe 15 minute soak and then another inspection. This goes on, in 15 minute increments, until the parts look like so:

NbTKMOMl.jpg

After I get to this point, a rinse in hot water and then a spray down with EEZOX. Let the EEZOX sit for a half hour and wipe excess off with an old piece of cotton t-shirt. 

This synthetic CLP provides a coating that stuff finds it hard to stick to, so the next cleaning goes much easier. I have not ruined any of these parts as some say will happen. I've used this solution on a Smith & Wesson Model 27, that had a nasty build up of too soft of a lead used to make cast bullets. If any of you know what the bluing looks like on an older Smith & Wesson Model 27, you knows it's pretty dang nice. The solution did NOT hurt the finish one iota. Again, after this bore was shiny again, instead of gray and fuzzy lookin', I ran two wet patches of EEZOX through the bore, waited a while and then a dry cotton patch. Wiped the bluing down with EEZOX and gave it back to the culprit who leaded it up. 

#9 Matt Rigsby

Matt Rigsby

Cyrwus Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

Buildup in a suppressor is different from a comp. The comp can blow debris out where the suppressor is enclosed.

Shooting a .22 suppressor, yes it will get lots of gunk in a short amount of time, which is why all the rimfire cans I've seen come apart for cleaning.

Not the same with centerfire cans. Some do, some don't.

It really depends more on the ammo you use in your centerfire gun. Jacketed bullets, I doubt you'll ever really need to clen it unless you're doing 15k rounds a month.
Lead bullets, yeah it's gonna get gross.

IDGAF CASH ME OUSSIDE HOW BOW DAT!

#10 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

• Moderators
  • 11,111 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:09 PM

My Volquartsen .22 comp gets crazy packed full of powder residue. It had a nice polished stainless finish on it  until I ran it through the bead blaster. I tried every trick on the internet to get the cement like residue out. Bead blaster is the only sure way, and it now sports a dull finish. 

#11 KurtM

KurtM

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

The 50/50 mix of viniger and peroxide works about the best, but CAUSION!!!! It forms lead acitate, which is quickly absorbed by skin contact!!!! Causing high levels of lead build up.in your system, which is really bad ju-ju!! Always use rubber gloves or nitrile over when using the 50/50. And always dispose of the "used" liquid somewhere where it won't get on you or anyone else. Be causious of rags that come in contact with the used liquid as well!??

#12 Jason Grant

Jason Grant

Jason Grant

• Sponsor
  • 1,640 posts
  • LocationYukon, Ok

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

I use this every time I clean my gun and it seems to help keep the buildup to a minimum...

Hornady 9990 One Shot Gun Cleaner with DynaGlide Plus
JasonGrant_CIS_728x90_WSRBG_.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users