9 replies to this topic

#1 James Abram

James Abram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWoodward, OK

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

A few of us gunners from the NW have went up to Raton and shot the Nightforce Practical/Tactical 2 Rifle match and all agree it was one of the most fun matches we’ve ever shot. We are talking about bringing that format of match to Oklahoma and would like some feedback and judge if there would be any interest in that type of match. Basically the shooter uses a precision rifle to engage targets 400-900 yards and a .223 carbine to engage targets 10-300 yards, usually shooting the carbine first then the PR. Two formats could be used, either an individual match where the shooter uses both guns on every stage, or a team match where one shooter uses the PR and the other the carbine (with a switch mid match). The match would either take place in Woodward at Butch’s range, in or at facility in the central part of the state. Looking at a $75-100 match fee with money paid back to the top shooters, and maybe a few sponsored prizes that we would give on a random draw. Just looking to see what you guys think! More info on this type of match can be found here... https://johnson3gun....-30-july-1-2018
Admins feel free to delete if needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Sunshine Shooter

Sunshine Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:20 PM

Sounds awful fun.

"...an inelegant weapon for a less civilized time..."

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

#3 Matt Rigsby

Matt Rigsby

Cyrwus Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

I suck at PR, but I'd definitely do it cause it would be a blast.

IDGAF CASH ME OUSSIDE HOW BOW DAT!

#4 clarkbe9980

clarkbe9980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

I shot that match too! What a great match. Anything Denise and JJ put on is great. It's so unfortunate what that new Whittington Center director is doing up there. I usually shoot 3 or 4 matches there a year.

I'd love if we had something like that here although we have no terrain here that even comes close to the Whittington Center. I know Fouled Bore does PRS style matches but no one does 2 rifle. I'd be interested in helping setting up and running a match like that here if you get one figured out.

#5 James Abram

James Abram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWoodward, OK

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:47 PM

Man, I might just take you up in that! We shoot at Fouled Bore quite often and that is one of the ranges that could host an event like this.
I just talked to Denise today and it looks like the Coal Canyon matches are back on for 2019. The SRM will be the first Sunday of the month Feb-Oct and JJ will do a few 2 rifle matches mixed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 clarkbe9980

clarkbe9980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

That's great news! I haven't been to Fouled Bore yet because i always end up having plans on those days.

#7 Michael J

Michael J

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

I would have to go with the 2 shooter program and I would be good out to 300.

I don't have a gun that can see out to 900,

#8 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

• Moderators
  • 11,080 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

I would have to go with the 2 shooter program and I would be good out to 300.
I don't have a gun that can see out to 900,

Isn’t that the truth. I can bang 10” Steel all day at 300 until it gets boring.
Was in Colorado recently that had a 600 yd range. Whole new ballgame. That .223 fell out of the sky after 300.

#9 clarkbe9980

clarkbe9980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:54 AM

At the last 3 gun match I shot we had an AR target at like 530 and I had to hold 6 feet high to hit steel! 223 just dies out there

#10 Sunshine Shooter

Sunshine Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNW OKC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Huh, almost like the .223 was meant as a long-quite long range cartridge, like some sort of intermediate caliber.  I wonder if there is some sort of class of cartridges that would encompass these not-long-but-beyond-pistol-range calibers?

Nah, probably not.

"...an inelegant weapon for a less civilized time..."

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users