53 replies to this topic

#41 DoctorJJ

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store

• Sponsor
  • 913 posts
  • LocationPryor, OK

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

I'm not sure I've seen that many ducks while hunting in my entire life combined. That was ridiculous. Where in the heck are you hunting???

#42 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,581 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

NC Okla is where we see flights like this all morning. unless its cloudy or raining, they are about 300 yds high when they fly over.

#43 1000YRDSHOT

1000YRDSHOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

I was very lucky during this last month of the 2011-2012 duck season.

I learned how important it is to scout and how to easily find land owners. My shooting was less than desired at the beginning of the season, but by the end of the season I had pulled off at least 10 triples and 15 doubles.

I got permission on some outstanding ponds and fields that were being used heavily by mallards, pintails, wigeons, and geese. The most amazing thing about all of this was that I was able to share some great hunts with my family, friends, and some kids.

I was able to introduce a farmers kid to waterfowl hunting, and on his first trip he shot a limit of ducks and a goose with his new shotgun.

I also got my first banded goose.

I know the pics of the kids were posted previously, but they deserve a second showing.

DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0017 (2).JPG DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG 15 JAN 2012.JPG DSC_0046 (2).JPG

DSC_0030.JPG
"There is a warthog running in front of the truck. We will stop so you . . . . wait until we stop the tru(BOOM) . . .WHOP!!"

#44 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,581 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

You really sacked them up this season!
Have you ever made goose jerky? I've never gone after geese, as I've heard they aren't that good to eat, but recently have been hearing the folks are making jerky with the breast, and some prefer it to venison jerky?

#45 1000YRDSHOT

1000YRDSHOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

You really sacked them up this season!
Have you ever made goose jerky? I've never gone after geese, as I've heard they aren't that good to eat, but recently have been hearing the folks are making jerky with the breast, and some prefer it to venison jerky?

I usually shoot around 125 to 150 ducks, and around 30 geese a year. I didn't keep as accurate of a count this year. I usually keep a count of what type, when, and where they were shot. I'm all about statistics and patterns. The best hunting seems to be after the split through January, and I'm starting to wish duck season continued through mid-February.

As for goose jerky, I have not attempted to make any goose jerky. How ever I do remember back in 2000 when we hunted at Ft. Cobb when 250,000 mallards were roosting there, and 6 of us would shoot our limits of mallards in 15 minutes. We had to start smoking the ducks... and I must say that they taste great like that.

I use the crock-pot method I explained in your recipe post, I cook them on low for about 6 hours. Then the meat is shredded without much work. The other day a friend from Louisiana brought some homemade gumbo over and we put some mix of the shredded fowl in and cooked it for about 30 minutes. Boy, that was tasty!!
"There is a warthog running in front of the truck. We will stop so you . . . . wait until we stop the tru(BOOM) . . .WHOP!!"

#46 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,581 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

We had to start smoking the ducks

DOOD! I tried smoking them, but couldn't keep them lit!

I'm totally sorry for posting that, but crap happens once in awhile. :D

Congrats on a good season. I'm looking forward to trying to make some jerky next season.
I haven't forgot the crock pot method, and have two mallard breasts in the freezer to give this a shot.

#47 1000YRDSHOT

1000YRDSHOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Introduced a friend to waterfowl hunting about two weeks ago. We had about 40 minutes to hunt before we had to leave and one gun to share. She was able to shoot three teal and I shot one before we had to call it quits. She said she is going to run off with one of her dad's shotguns so she can tag along more often.

IMAG0171.jpg IMAG0177.jpg

Last Saturday my dad and cousin were able to come up for a morning teal hunt at sooner lake. Once again the little guy did some great shooting, although we did have a little talk about being aware of the dog and decoys. We were done in 45 minutes and back at the truck by 8am. Wish I could do this every morning!

IMAG0222.jpg IMAG0223.jpg IMAG0217.jpg IMAG0218-1.jpg

Soaked them in water for a couple days, marinated them for a couple hours in Italian dressing and wrapped them in bacon...yum!

IMAG0197.jpg

#48 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,581 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

We haven't seen many teal around here, but it looks like you sacked them up again!

#49 Porter

Porter

.22 LR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Finally starting to find some big ducks. Just in time for the split!

Posted Image
When the time of need arrives, the time of preparation has passed.

#50 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,581 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Congratulations Porter! Thats a heck of a haul.

#51 1000YRDSHOT

1000YRDSHOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I've been incognito for a while. Thanks for the compliment on the teal hunting pics, Dennis!

Nice job, Porter! I've only shot a few mallards so far this year. Been shooting mostly Gadwall. Around 90 percent of the places I hunted last year are bone dry....we need a lot of rain.

But I did get a little lucky Thanksgiving morning... shot this guy on Sooner Lake.

IMAG0398.jpg IMAG0397.jpg

Also my hunting buddy and I introduced his sister to waterfowling. My friend Kasie from my previous post got a shotgun and joined me on another hunt.

IMAG0369.jpg IMAG0379.jpg

#52 Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us

.375 H&H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I've been incognito for a while. Thanks for the compliment on the teal hunting pics, Dennis!

Nice job, Porter! I've only shot a few mallards so far this year. Been shooting mostly Gadwall. Around 90 percent of the places I hunted last year are bone dry....we need a lot of rain.

But I did get a little lucky Thanksgiving morning... shot this guy on Sooner Lake.

IMAG0398.jpg IMAG0397.jpg

Also my hunting buddy and I introduced his sister to waterfowling. My friend Kasie from my previous post got a shotgun and joined me on another hunt.

IMAG0369.jpg IMAG0379.jpg

My experience has been most first time duck hunters either get hooked for a lifetime, or they never want to do it again. From that big smile I am thinking we have a new duck hunter added to the ranks of the obsessive crazed.

Good on you!

Tally ho!

K
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

#53 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,581 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I agree!

#54 TacticalK9

TacticalK9

.50 BMG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • LocationEnid, ok

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Ive always wanted to try duck hunting, mainly for the training and involvement with dogs.

Aim small. Miss small.

LIFE OUTSIDE OF 3-GUN IS JUST PRACTICE.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users