15 replies to this topic

#1 B.S. DuBois

B.S. DuBois

Head Honcho Emeritus

• Administrators
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

When we originally came up with the idea of starting BoomerShooter.com we were all tired of the BS at OSA and wanted a better more open way to promote shooting in Oklahoma. I spent many hours working on the logo, the site design, and getting the permissions of the forum all set up. I also spent my PERSONAL money on the domain, hosting, and forum software as well as the quarterly fee that it cost for the software license. It seems that there are people out there that think they only thing I set this site up for is to make money and nothing else. Yet I have set up 2 group buys (one of which I lost money on since I had to pay shipping out of my pocket) as well as sold 5 certificates for classes at HALF PRICE. Did I make some money on them - SURE I did make some - but the way I felt is that I also spent much of my own time and many hours working on getting things to run perfect. Did the people that purchased them get an even better deal? You bet - they got over 50% off the cost of the regular class. So as it appears that I am the bad person here - I am simply covering my own ass trying to avoid having to pay for anything to keep the site running out of my own pocket.

We have set up sponsors for the site to help with the cost of running the site - but we even gave away FREE sponsorship just for helping get members on board. We also have traded sponsor time for helping out forum members such as doing free FFL transfers for the last group buy as well as trading certificates for training for sponsorship.

If the members want nothing but 100% a site for talk and no benefits such as group buys and raffles and giveaways then we can 100% make that happen. If you have a problem with me personally make a small amount of money and turning around putting it back into the site, the hosting, the software, and other things to raffle off then please express that with me privately and not publicly so we can discuss it at an educated adult level.

Brandon DuBois

My Feedback
USPSA - FY69309

#2 KillShot

KillShot

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Ok

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

As it's been said before, opinions are like assholes...everybody has one, and the vast majority of them stink.

You owe no one an explanation for doing things the way you see fit, with maybe the exception being the other admins/mods, and if you choose to give an explanation then it's only because you've done so out of courtesy and not obligation. I know first hand how time consuming and expensive it can be to run a website and to do so out of your own pocket for years on end with very little, if any, financial support from those who enjoy the benefits of the website. Furthermore, if people don't think the owner/administrator of a website like Sniper's Hide gets any kickbacks from it, they're a damned fool.

As it was once said to me; what's a barking dog to a moving freight train? In other words, just keep doing what you're doing and don't let the talking heads get to you. Do what you feel is best for the future of Boomer Shooter. Sure, you're going to make mistakes but guess what? It's part of the learning process. If you're not making mistakes, you're not making any progress.

I remember a story where someone mentioned to Thomas Edison about how many times he failed in his endeavor to invent the light bulb and Thomas Edison replied "I didn't fail, I merely discovered many ways in which you cannot create a light bulb." That's how you have to be with this website; try things and if they don't work, try something else until you eventually figure out what works and when you do, run with it!
I'm unlike many who post on every topic, whether it's to increase their post count or to look or feel important. I don't post/comment on a topic unless I have something I feel is worth contributing.

#3 ChrisC

ChrisC

Revolver Division

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Locationmcalester, ok

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

I don't see a problem with covering cost of running a website. I come here more than I do OSA for several reasons. I don't care that there is not a general talk area. I like things that are gun related.

I don't like nazi moderators like to find on other sites that I have seemed to find on both OSA and BE. This site is fine.. shooting related site for shooters..

Do what you want to do.. it's your site.. not theirs.
round gun kinda guy.....
CLEET Firearms Instructor
http://www.youtube.c...04?feature=mhee

#4 B.S. DuBois

B.S. DuBois

Head Honcho Emeritus

• Administrators
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

I don't see a problem with covering cost of running a website. I come here more than I do OSA for several reasons. I don't care that there is not a general talk area. I like things that are gun related.

I don't like nazi moderators like to find on other sites that I have seemed to find on both OSA and BE. This site is fine.. shooting related site for shooters..

Do what you want to do.. it's your site.. not theirs.

I want this to be OUR site - I want to make improvements that the members want - add sections they want - do raffles and group buys if they want it. I want it to be about the community.

My Feedback
USPSA - FY69309

#5 Jesse Tischauser

Jesse Tischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

• Administrators
  • 23,506 posts
  • LocationGuthrie, OK

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

+1

I'm just happy you're doing all the leg work on the group buys!!! This forum is gonna be huge in the competitive shooting and shooting in general. It's nice to get back to what is all about. Heck a bunch of forums charge memberships which I find unacceptable.

#6 TroyDB

TroyDB

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationYukon, Oklahoma

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

If you're the one running the operations, I would hope you are getting something for providing a service for the rest of us to enjoy, I would never expect anything less of someone. And for providing a place for us to come and talk about our shooting interests...Thank you.

#7 ChrisC

ChrisC

Revolver Division

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Locationmcalester, ok

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

I want this to be OUR site - I want to make improvements that the members want - add sections they want - do raffles and group buys if they want it. I want it to be about the community.

I didn't mean it like that.. but exactly.. if they want a place to chit chat and complain about whatever they can do it somewhere else.. I vote to keep this site like it is..
round gun kinda guy.....

#8 Powerman620

Powerman620

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Oklahoma

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

Personally, I like the option of group buys etc., even if you make money. The web site does not run without funds. Just my 2 cents
2011 - Line of Duty Firefighter deaths 12

#9 B.S. DuBois

B.S. DuBois

Head Honcho Emeritus

• Administrators
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Well I'm not making any money on the Group Buys at all - like for instance the Palmetto group buy my cost is $59.99 plus shipping - so that's why I just charged everyone $63.00 - i figure that extra 3 bucks can cover shipping. I had to come out of pocket some for the shipping on the Spikes group buy. I'm not here to make money - I have a job that pays me quite well. I'm just here to learn more and to have a good time. The whole issue was with the Loki Raffle - the Upper/Lower was given to me PERSONALLY but after getting the OK from LOKI we were going to raffle it off to say thanks to our members and to generate LOKI some added press. Who knew that it would turn into me being the bad guy for doing that. Hell if it were me - I'd love a chance to spend $5.00 to win a kick ass Upper/Lower that would cost $580 otherwise but instead I get a kick ass Upper/Lower to make one helluva comp rifle with.

My Feedback
USPSA - FY69309

#10 Gunnut 23

Gunnut 23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

its a free country, but this isn't a public domain website.

What ever anybody does with their own property or the fruits of their own work is up to them to do what they want with it.

We always have the choice of not patronizing or contributing to their website.

Keep on doing what your doing. You're doing a great job and boomershooter is a benefit to the OK shooting community.

#11 delete

delete

.40 S&W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Locationk

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

Even though I am not into the competitions (if I wasn't traveling for work all the time and didn't live an hour from OKC I probably would) I enjoy this site more than the rest of the Oklahoma based sites. Keep on doin what your doin. It's a great site. I seen nothing wrong using raffles and whatnot to replace what you've put out of your pocket. And if there's any spare left over that's just gravy. Keep up the good work.

#12 Definitely Deplorable

Definitely Deplorable

Scott Hearn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationMoore, OK

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

So even if you did cover a portion of your costs on the group buys and everyone still got a discount on the items, who gets hurt? Nobody. Unless someone gets butt hurt over having to pay $4.00 more for something over what they ultimately would have. If that's the case, then there's no way to satisfy those. As far as the raffle goes, if LOKI is good with it what else matters? If someone doesn't want to buy tickets they don't have to. But I guess there are those that will complain about anything. I don't get it sometimes. The only reason I haven't bought any tickets yet is because I have two sweet lowers now that I don't know what I'm going to do with just yet.

Run it like you want Brandon, you have permission from the supplier. Don't sweat the small stuff.

#13 B.S. DuBois

B.S. DuBois

Head Honcho Emeritus

• Administrators
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks Scott,

Unfortunately - even with permission from LOKI for the raffle, with threats of turning the auction over to the Attorney General (illegal gambling or something like that) we have decided to do the Ultimate Build / Auction. All I wanted to do was to give someone a chance to spend $5.00 and win an amazing upper/lower set - but looking forward - this new contest/auction that we have going is going to turn into one bad ass rifle.

Brandon

My Feedback
USPSA - FY69309

#14 ChrisC

ChrisC

Revolver Division

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Locationmcalester, ok

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

I know several people at the AG's office. They got bigger fish to fry. I don't see how a raffle is illegal. I'll make some calls and look at statue tomorrow.
round gun kinda guy.....

#15 B.S. DuBois

B.S. DuBois

Head Honcho Emeritus

• Administrators
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

I don't remember the exact statues that were brought up - but something to do about it being a form of gambling in OK and w/o being a non profit org such as a school or church, or having the proper license it was illegal. I have never thought about whether a raffle was "legal" or not whenever I buy tickets - only thing I care about is WHAT CAN I WIN!!!! Cest La Vie - Thanks but don't worry about it Chris - I think things happen for a reason - we will all have more fun voting on how to trick the rifle out and all getting to shoot a mag through it - then letting ya'll bid on it and the highest bidder getting to take the beauty home.

My Feedback
USPSA - FY69309

#16 B.S. DuBois

B.S. DuBois

Head Honcho Emeritus

• Administrators
  • 6,653 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

I'm going to lock this up guys - Thanks for the support - all that I ask is if you have a major issue with anything going on please PM me privately and lets discuss it.

On that note - GET READY I'm lining up some awesome sponsors and going to have some great things in store for 2011!!!!!!!!!!

My Feedback
USPSA - FY69309

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users