43 replies to this topic

#41 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,207 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

IN this country, hunting as a hobby for the poor and middle class is dying. It is fast becoming a business that caters to the wealthy and elite.

I don't deny that one bit. As a landowner, I can see one side of leasing ones property, but on the other hand, the days of knocking on a door to get permission to hunt for free, is quickly becoming a thing of the past. I hate that, but like I've said before, 90% of the time, the landowner has family that wants to use the land.
I have some contacts at the ODW, and have been beating them to death to start a Walk-In program like Kansas.
The state leases the land, from the landowner and puts out maps to the public. Just google Kansas hunting.
The public hunts it for free. Some of it is marginal, but some is really good. Early season pheasants are typically fantastic, but even on the last weekend last season we took a limit of birds.
Took walking about a cazillion miles, but if one wants to kill a bird, thats what you have to do. BTW, the best spot we found was not in the walk-in program, but was given to us by a local farmer that had a flat on his feed truck. He was about 80 something. We changed his tire for him, and were leaving. He offered to pay us, but we wouldn't take any money. He knew we were hunting pheasant, and gave us directions to a quarter section that turned into a gold mine.
The same thing can happen in Ok. One has to nurture a relationship with the landowner somehow, and make yourself more valuable to be there than to be ran off.
Offer to help at harvest, drive a tractor at planting....the list never stops.

#42 Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us

.375 H&H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Took walking about a cazillion miles, but if one wants to kill a bird, thats what you have to do. .

Have your read Thursday's Bird by Joel Springer? It is about pheasant hunting. If not you'd enjoy it.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx

#43 Sam Shoun

Sam Shoun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

IN this country, hunting as a hobby for the poor and middle class is dying. It is fast becoming a business that caters to the wealthy and elite.

I've noticed this too, and I've been hoping to learn to hunt with a "low tech" approach and rely on my willingness to walk a long way or go to physically demanding places on public land that others will not... If such places exist in OK.

I certainly can't afford the baffling figures I hear some spend on the sport.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. -Han Solo

#44 dennishoddy

dennishoddy

.50 BMG

• Moderators
  • 8,207 posts
  • LocationPonca City, Ok

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Have your read Thursday's Bird by Joel Springer? It is about pheasant hunting. If not you'd enjoy it.

I haven't but will. My wife just bought a kindle Fire. I'll see if it's available on here before buying the book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users